You are here : Ziaraat.com/Samarrah/Ziaraat in Samarrah
Personalities buried in Samarrah
1. Mausoleum of Imam Ali Naqi(a.s.) - the 10th Holy Imam
2. Mausoleum of Imam Hasan al-Askari(a.s.) - the 11th Holy Imam
3. Grave of Syeda Hakima Khatoon(a.s.) - daughter
of Imam Muhammad Taqi(a.s.) and sister of Imam Ali Naqi(a.s.).
Her narration of the birth of the 12th Imam(a.s.) is reported extensively as she was a mid-wife to Bibi Nargis Khatoon(a.s.),
the mother of the 12 Imam(a.s.). She was the one who taught Bibi Nargis Khatoon about the rules of religion.
4. Grave of Bibi Nargis Khatoon(a.s.), mother
of the 12th Imam Al-Mahdi(a.s.) - She was a Roman (byzantine) princess who became
a Muslim after seeing Bibi Fatima Zehra(s.a.) and the Holy Prophet(sawaw) in
the dream. She was the mother of the 12th Imam(a.s.). After the birth of the
12th Imam(a.s.) when our 11th Imam told Nargis that the people will enter our
house to check whether my child was born, Bibi Nargis(a.s.) told Imam please
pray for me that I die before they come because I do not want to be their captive
and go to the court. Bibi Nargis died before our 11th Imam's shahadat.
Other important places in Samarrah
1. Cellar (sardab) of Imam Al-Mahdi(a.s.) - the 12th Holy Imam - where he was last seen. Also called Maqam Ghaybat (i.e. the place of occultation)
2. Masjid Jamia - It was built by an Abbaside Caliph. It was the largest mosque of its time. It is famous for its 52 meter high spiral.
3. Mausoleum of Syed Mohammad ibn-e-Imam Ali Naqi(a.s.)
[in Balad] - He was very pious and people come here to pray to Allah for their
wishes. It is in the Kabrastan. There was a very big prison here where 50,000
shias were kept. In the times of Hajjaj bin Yousaf, those Shias who died in
prison were buried there. Nobody was allowed out. Many Shias died because of
his zulm (torment).